Immigration Law Overview

Contact Central Pennsylvania Immigration Attorneys at Kelly, Parker & Cohen today for your FREE CONSULTATION.

The federal immigration laws decide whether you are a citizen of the United States or an alien. The laws also enumerate the rights, obligations and duties that are associated with being an alien in the United States, and set forth how an alien might obtain citizenship or residence in the United States. The Central Pennsylvania Immigration Attorneys at Kelly, Parker & Cohen offer a wide range of visa and immigration legal services. Our attorneys can represent you if you are seeking citizenship or residency in the United States, employment visas, or relief from removal or detention proceedings.

There are many ways to obtain permanent resident status in the United States. Often, the way to do so is through a job, family relationships, or as a refugee or asylee. Federal immigration law is complex and changes frequently. Let a Central Pennsylvania Immigration Attorney help you navigate the complexities. A skilled immigration attorney can guide you through the process of obtaining permanent resident status or help you with your other immigration needs. At Kelly, Parker & Cohen, we provide the following services:

Employment Visas

Whether you are granted a temporary or permanent employment visa depends on a number of factors, including your credentials, your occupation and whether an employer sponsors you. There are more than 20 different types of visas for temporary non-immigrant workers, including visas for athletes, entertainers and diplomatic employees. Permanent employment-based immigration is divided into five preferences, and there is a set number of visas allowed each year. Immigrating based on a job ordinarily requires compliance with the labor certification requirement outlined in the immigration laws. Some priority workers do not require these labor certifications.

Immigration Based on Family Relationships

If you want to gain permanent resident status based through a family member who is already a United States citizen, there are limitations as to who that family member can sponsor. However, overall, family unification is a key principle of immigration policy. A United States citizen who is at least 21 years old can sponsor a spouse, sister, brother, son, daughter, fiance or even a parent. Relationships such as an uncle, aunt, cousin or grandparent do not qualify. Of course, whether the sponsorship is allowed or successful depends on the availability of visas and the circumstances of your case.

Refugee or Asylee

To obtain permanent resident status as a refugee or asylee, you must qualify for this status for one year. Usually, this status is made available you are fleeing persecution in your home country or you are unable to return home due to extraordinary or life-threatening conditions. Status as a refugee is only obtainable if you are outside of the Unites States, while asylee status is available if you are inside the United States. However, both statuses require a determination that you are a refugee, and you must meet other qualifications established by law.

Citizenship and Naturalization

To qualify for United States citizenship through naturalization, you must have legal permanent resident status, or a green card, for at least five years. However, if you obtained your permanent resident status through a United States citizen spouse, you need only have the status for three years. To apply for United States citizenship, you must meet certain requirements including certification that you are at least 18 years old, demonstration of good moral character, demonstration of continuous residency, ability to pass English and United States civics and history exams, and you must also pay an application fee.

Deportation and Removal Defense, Criminal Penalties, and Other Immigration Issues

We can also help you with cancellations of removal, waivers of inadmissibility and deportability, withholding of removal, asylum, immigration appeals, non-immigrant visas and other matters. Also, if you have been charged with a crime, and you are not a citizen of the United States, the experienced immigration and criminal defense team at Kelly, Parker & Cohen can provide thorough legal advice regarding how to proceed with your case in the best manner to avoid deportation or removal. If you or a loved one faces the possibility of deportation or detention, contact the knowledgeable Central Pennsylvania Immigration Attorneys at Kelly, Parker & Cohen today.

If you one or more of our immigration law services, contact the Central Pennsylvania Immigration Attorneys or by calling (717) 208-2622 or contact us online today for your free and confidential consultation.