Focused On

You And Your Future

You And Your Children Deserve To Be Safe

Being afraid for your safety or the safety of your children may be the most frightening experience you will ever go through. It can be hard to know what to do in this situation, but one of our compassionate, experienced lawyers can talk to you about your options.

At Kelly, Parker & Cohen, LLP, we understand how difficult these decisions can be, so we make sure to carefully explain what steps you can take to protect yourself and your family. We will answer your questions and talk you through your concerns about filing a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order. Our Pennsylvania family law attorneys will make sure you have the information you need to decide whether filing a PFA is right for you.

What Protections Does A PFA Provide?

A PFA is an order that can require the alleged abuser to stay away from you and your children. Each case is different, but generally, this means staying away from your home, work and school. It can require them to move out if you share a home, and it may require them to pay child support while the order is in place. A PFA may include a no-contact order, which means they cannot talk to you in person, by mail, phone, text, email or social media.

If the person violates the PFA, they may face criminal charges with serious consequences, including jail time.

Who Does A PFA Apply To?

Many people have questions about this. In Pennsylvania, you can file a PFA against:

  • Current or former spouses
  • Current or former domestic partners or same-sex partners
  • Parents
  • Children
  • Current or former intimate or sexual partners
  • People you have dated or are currently dating
  • Blood relatives

There are some relationships and circumstances the PFA does not cover. For example, you may file a Sexual Violence Protection Order against people who are strangers, acquaintances or co-workers. A Protection From Intimidation Order protects minors from offenders over age 18 if they are harassing or stalking the minor.

Let Us Discuss Your Options – Your Consultation Is Confidential And Free

If you decide to file a PFA, we will help you do so and will represent you at any hearings on the matter. Please call us at our Harrisburg office at 717-971-1974 or contact us via email today. We will get back to you shortly.